Completion of the degree
To obtain the Master's degree, students must have completed 120 credits including those related to the final exam.
Final exam and thesis
The final exam consists of the presentation and discussion of a text in English, which is prepared by the student with the guidance of a supervisor from among the professors and researchers belonging to UniTrento, or teaching professors of the degree course.
The criteria for definition of the composition of the final exam committee, of the procedures for submitting applications and of the final score, which is expressed in hundred-tenths (possibly cum laude), are established in the Educational Regulations of the University and in the specific Final Exam Regulations.
The Thesis Guidelines define the thesis' form and structure for each track.
Degree sessions and final exam procedure
In order to present and discuss your Master's thesis you have to complete a procedure in several steps, with mandatory deadlines.
Students who graduate within the degree session of March 2021 (included) do not need to renew the enrollment to a.y. 2020/2021 an do not have to pay tuition fee. Those students who are going to graduate in a later degree session instead, must pay the tuition fees for a.y. 2020/2021.
Below you can find some important information:
- The Committee's nomination-decree and the list of graduating students allowed to discuss the Master thesis is published around 7 days before the dissertation.
- The decree includes the information about the time and the classroom where the Master's defense will take place
- Each candidate will have 15 minutes for presenting her/his thesis and then there will be 5 minutes for questions
- If you have a power point presentation and you want to try it, the classroom will be available the day before the Master's defense. If you need assistance, you will be able to contact a lab technician
Thesis projects at CIMeC
If you intend to do your thesis project work in a CIMeC Lab, you can refer to the CIMeC Research Group page.
Thesis projects in another research institution
The following rules apply to the students completing their Master's thesis project at a research institution not part of UniTrento.
- The supervisors has to be a professor or researcher at CIMeC or UniTrento. The student might decide to have a co-supervisor at the host institution.
- The CIMeC/UniTrento supervisor has to be substantially involved in the thesis project from the very beginning.
- The co-supervisor at the host institution has to be previously informed about the involvement of the CIMeC/UniTrento supervisor.
- The Master's thesis project should be approved by both supervisors before starting the Master's thesis research.
Before the start of the thesis research period, the student must deliver the Acceptance Letter and the Declaration Form of the thesis supervisor to the Master's Secretary (mcs [at] unitn.it), in order to extend the insurance coverage to the host institution.
Further information about international services and facilities for students doing the research thesis abroad (e.g. health and public-liability insurance, visa application) are available at Study abroad services and facilites page.