From academic year 2023/2024, the course in Information and Communications Engineering is replaced by the new Master's Degree in Information Engineering.
The Master's Degree in Information and Communications Engineering and this website remain available only for students who have enrolled in the previous years.
- Level: Master's Degree
- Duration: 2 years
- Italian classification: LM27
- Language: English
- Admission: Public selection
- Location: Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science, Via Sommarive 5 - 38123 Povo (Trento) - Italy
The Master of Science in Information and Communication Engineering aims to train professionals to produce and manage technological innovation and fulfill high-profile technical and / or managerial roles in contexts that require in-depth knowledge of Information Engineering disciplines, focusing on specific aspects of telecommunications Engineering.
The Course is divided into three areas:
- "Signal Processing and Understanding” Area, aimed to provide vertical expertise in the design and analysis of information for various application areas such as multimedia, environmental remote sensing, assistive technologies and biomedical, digital security and smart cities;
- "Wireless and Networking” Area, which aims to provide in-depth expertise in the study, design, and development of wireless systems for communications / radar and telecommunications networks, as well as their application in terrestrial and aerospace;
- "ICT Innovation" Area, that allows to specialize in "Cloud Computing and Network Infrastructures" or "Visual Computing and Communication", and to participate in the EIT Digital Master School program, held in a consortium of European top universities and lead together with business partners.
Most courses include laboratory classes to provide students with a thorough practical knowledge, as well as a broad theoretical background on subjects of interest.
The Master of Science in Information and Communication Engineering has the specific objective of training professional figures capable of producing and managing technological innovation and therefore covering high profile technical and / or managerial roles in contexts that require the in-depth knowledge of Information Engineering disciplines, focusing on specific aspects of Telecommunication Engineering.
Our Information and Communication Engineers fulfil 21 European ICT professional profiles among the 23 recently defined by the European Union. To report just a few of them: Business Information Manager, Systems Analyst and Architect, ICT Operation Manager, Developer, Digital Media Specialist, Network and Technical Specialist, ICT Security Manager, ICT Trainer and Consultant.
These professional figures respond to the needs of the market, which in addition to a specializing dimension in a single sector, requires a solid understanding of the methodologies and technologies of the Information Engineering area, and an ability to grasp the relationships between various disciplines and to deal professionally with interdisciplinary problems.
Master's degree graduates have in-depth knowledge of technologies, devices, systems and infrastructures for the acquisition and processing of information, their transport on telecommunications networks and their use in telematic applications and services. The educational objectives are achieved through a didactic offer that allows the student to acquire and integrate in a harmonious and balanced way required knowledge in different domains. To this end, the offer is divided into:
a broad, yet in-depth training in the engineering world, with reference to systems and methods for telecommunications, information systems (acquisition, protection and processing); this training is complemented with elements of business and entrepreneurship studies
a specialization by choosing between one of the different tracks, which allows to deepen advanced topics in the field of: 1) the processing and analysis of information; 2) wireless communications and telecommunications networks; 3) ICT Innovation
The educational offer is complemented through laboratory experiences, seminars and internships, together with an adequate knowledge of a foreign language. The programme of the Master degree in Information and Communication Engineering enables students to conceive, design, engineer, organize and manage complex systems that require skills in the Information Engineering sector, privileging the aspects related to Telecommunications.
Overall, our graduates acquire a strong know-how in:
1. the design, testing, validation, control, and production of new devices ranging from networks of wireless nanosensors to large aerospace systems;
2. the creation of software for the analysis, understanding, transmission, and exploitation of information in all its physical instantiations;
3. the organization and management of communication systems as well as all aspects related to their innovation and marketing.