- Level: LM-22 Master course
- Language: English
- Admission: Access subject to the verification of the admission requirements
- Location: Department of Industrial Engineering, Via Sommarive 9 - 38123 Povo (Trento) - Italy
The Master’s degree COURSE in Materials and Production Engineering trains engineers skilled to produce and manage technology innovation and work as high-level technicians and managers, in areas requiring a deep knowledge of base sciences and engineering, with particular attention paid to the customisation, processing, development and design of materials, and similar topics.
The graduates in the Master’s degree course in Materials and Production Engineering will master technologies, devices, systems and infrastructures for the production, customisation and design of traditional and innovative materials, their use in specific applications of the industries in the field of chemistry, mechanics, textiles, optics-electronics, biotechnologies and, more in general, for the development and the production and use of goods and services.
The master’s course is structured into 4 different contents, aimed at training 4 different professionals:
- Manufacturing and Product Development aims at training an experts in Materials Engineering, with deep knowledge of production and processing technologies, on the mechanisms of damages during while operating and on the planning tools and methods used in the manufacturing industry for the optimisations of current processes and products, and for the development of the innovative products.
- Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development aims at training experts in Materials Engineering highly skilled in materials and processes for production and transformation of energy, the reduction of energy consumption through innovative materials and technologies, the reuse and recycling to reduce the environmental impacts of the processes of material production and transformation. The environmental sustainability of industrial processes, which is the optimisation of raw material consumption for the production - including energy - is one of the most strategic sectors for the future of materials engineers, to improve their employability.
- Bio-related and functional materials focus on the engineering and use of materials for biomedical and functional applications, also with reference to “bioinspired” and “biomimetic” materials. The basic subjects of the master’s course are completed with specific courses on materials applications which have increasingly acquired scientific and applicative importance. The resulting professional figure is a material engineer with specific knowledge of “smart” and advanced materials, properties and applications, with interdisciplinary skills, capable to work in the field of academic research and industrial research, and to design materials with functional features and solutions to improve production.
- Processes Management and Optimization combines subjects of the sector of Operational Research and Industrial Management aimed ad training professionals capable to effectively manage production processes and optimise the use of materials, taking into account both scientific and technological features, as well as economic and organisational elements. Students will be trained above all on the models and methods of reticular and mathematic programming, systems for the simulation and management of queues, decision-making supporting systems, quality control systems, information systems for the logistic and production management. The resulting materials engineer will have a good knowledge of the models and methods of operational research for an effective management of the production processes.