- Level: LM-40 Master course
- Language: English
- Admission: Access subject to the verification of the admission requirements
- Location: Department of Mathematics, via Sommarive 14, 38123 TRENTO (TN).
The course is organized into four curricula.
The curriculum Advanced Mathematics is generally indicated for who wants to continue the studies at the Doctorate level, and allows to widen and to deepen the learning in a large spectrum of branches of Mathematics. It proposes three particular study plans (called "orientamenti"):
- General Advanced Mathematics
- Advanced Algebra and Geometry
- Calculus of Variations
- Partial Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems.
The curriculum on Teaching and Scientific Communication prepares, on one side, for school teaching and on the other to work in the field of the Scientific dissemination; a field more and more important because of the existence of scientific museums and shows.
The curriculum Mathematics and Statistics for Life and Social Sciences proposes three particular study plans (called "orientamenti"):
- Statistics and Data Science
- Modelling, Statistics and Analysis of Biosystems: studies the models used to investigate various complex biological systems. Among other, models of epidemic spread are studied; these models allow to establish in advance the most effective prevention (vaccines), when is foreseen the arrival of a new epidemic
- Modelling and Simulation for Biomedical Applications: yields competences in mathematics, numerical computation, physics, physiology, applicable to a range of disciplines in medicine, pharmaceutical industry, sanitary services.
The curriculum Cryptography introduces the theoretical and practical aspects of modern cryptography and Error Correction Codes. It shows, among other things, how important methods adopted in mobile phones, smart cards, browsers or decoders are constructed starting from very refined algebraic and geometric theoretical instruments. It proposes two particular study plans (called "orientamenti"):
The Master Degree in Mathematics aims to form scientists and professionals that master a deep knowledge of the theoretical principles that they are the base of mathematical sciences, as well as specific competences relative to other fields.
Among the common learning objectives to all the specializations there is:
- the ability to work with large autonomy, also assuming responsibility for plans and structures of great dimensions
- the widening of the surveying scientific method, the inductive method of logical-deductive reasoning, and methods tied to experimentation
- the knowledge of the foundations of pure mathematics, and the knowledge of at least an other discipline and the knowledge of relevant mathematical applications to it.
The graduated in the course of Bachelor in Mathematics will be able, by properly choosing the optional curriculum and activities, to carry out professional activities:
- in companies and industry
- in laboratories and research centers
- in the field of the scientific culture dissemination
- in the field of services
- in Public Administration
With several range of interest, like computer science, financial, engineering, medical, communication, scientific, academic and in general in all cases where a flexible thinking, computational and computer science competences, a good familiarity with the management analysis and treatment of numerical data is useful.
In particular, the graduated can carry out the activities of expert in application technicians and statistical technicians. The specificity of their mathematical education gives them the opportunity to easily acquire the competences needed for the professions of statistical Mathematicians and most of the professions in Information Technologies, as from the ISTAT classification of the professions.
The course prepares for the professions of:
- Mathematicians, statistics and related professions
- Information Technologies technicians
- Applications expert technicians
- Statistical technicians
The Master Degree in Mathematics allows to approach the Doctorate in Mathematics, in Italy, in Europe and in the United States, and also the Doctorate in other sciences, where the Mathematics plays an important role, for example Physics, Computer Science and Telecommunications Engineering.