- Level: LM-33 Master course
- Language: English
- Admission: Access subject to the verification of the admission requirements
- Location: Department of Industrial Engineering, Via Sommarive 9 - 38123 Povo (Trento) - Italy
The Master’s Degree in Mechatronics Engineering aims to provide mechanical engineers with the skills for carrying out (understanding, planning, and executing) innovation projects, developing mechanical and mechatronics industrial products.
The Master’s Degree students will know modern methods (such as Quality Function Deployment) for the design, development, and, more generally, management of the whole product life cycle and related tools/instruments/production processes, which integrate physical and mechanical principles with technologies based on automation and new materials. They will utilize these methods in an appropriate and multi-disciplinary way, and, therefore, be capable of working in a team on projects dedicated to the development of new products and mechanical and mechatronics industrial systems. They will have the vision for the whole design of mechanical systems and the ability to understand the impact of new technologies on products and production systems. They will have developed project management skills to deal with the whole product life cycle.
The Master’s Degree in Mechatronics Engineering focuses particularly on extending the students’ knowledge in the following areas:
- Mechanics and Mechatronics, through courses devoted to advanced design tools for mechanical industrial products, (from concept generation to the end of the project), testing and prototyping methods, production technologies, methods and organization, and the modeling and control of mechanical systems.
- Electronics and Robotics, through courses devoted to artificial intelligence techniques applied to mechanical systems, measuring and sensor fusion techniques, dynamic modeling, and the planning and control of mechanical systems applied to manufacturing and emerging sectors.
- Industrial Process Management: includes the study of a set of topics in the scope of Industrial Management, aimed at building the foundations of modeling, designing, managing and innovating industrial processes, taking into account scientific, technological, information and organizational features. The learning goals are pursued by emphasizing decision support systems, quality control systems and information systems for logistics and production management. Operations research and project management related topics can integrate the learning goals through dedicated elective courses.
The Master’s Degree in Mechatronics Engineering is especially aimed at bachelor degree students with a sound background in core subjects (math and physics) and a good knowledge of industrial engineering. On completion of this Master’s course, the graduate will also be able to pursue his/her studies at PhD level.