Our two-year Master's programme in Sociology and Social Research provides you with high quality state of the art, in-depth and specialized training in sociology and social research, the mastery of the tools needed to investigate societal issues in contemporary society and achieve a comprehensive understanding of social processes and phenomena.
The MA programme is aimed at students who want to make a change in society, providing well-informed and scientifically rigorous advice. For example:
- to provide information and policy advice on welfare trends
- to improve customer satisfaction
- to help guide education research
- to help in the analysis of labour market and non-governmental organizations
- to become a survey methodologist who can help marketing and communication
- who want to provide advice to political parties or other organizations
- to help and guide non-governmental organizations to build policy and direction
The programme provides the basis to pursue a career in private or public institutes. It also provides excellent preparation for continuing your studies with a PhD programme (or similar).
During the intensive two-year programme you obtainin-depth qualitative and quantitative methodological and practical training and you are exposed to contemporary social issues through:
- lab sessions and seminars in small groups which facilitate developing skills, such as how to conduct interviews, focus groups and statistical analysis
- courses on substantive social issues
- integration of methods competences with current debates and theoretical insights
- opportunities for developing a substantive area of expertise through elective courses, internship, thesis topic and various seminars.
You will have the opportunity to attend classes taught by internationally-known scholars, to study with students from various parts of the world and develop various cross-cultural skills.
You can spend part of the period by joining the various international opportunities:
- the double-degree programme with partner universities of Bamberg (Germany), Barcellona - Pompeu Fabra (Spain), Tilburg (Netherlands) Graz (Austria), Higher School of Economics San Petersburg (Russia)
- Erasmus+ for study or internship with destinations in all European countries
- Bilateral Agreements all over the world.
Thanks to its practical and research-orientated approach, I learned to think critically and independently. The atmosphere at the department is very stimulating, with a high-quality teaching which is internationally recognised.
Carlotta, researcher Doxa, Milan, Master London School of Economics, UK
The MA is definitely a unique chance to meet and network with international peers and professors and strengthen a high-level expertise in the field of quantitative and qualitative social research.”
Damiano, researcher at the Netherland Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute NIDI, NL