- Level: Master's Degree
- Duration: 2 years
- Italian classification: LM-32 - Ingegneria informatica - Computer Engineering
- Language of the course: English
- Access mode: Limited enrollment with public selection
- Location: Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science, via Sommarive 5, 38123 Povo (TN).
The teaching program of the two-year master degree in Artificial Intelligence Systems (AIS), delivered in English, includes courses in the following foundational and related areas of artificial intelligence:
- Knowledge representation, automatic reasoning, planning, machine learning, human language processing and technology, human-machine interaction;
- Industrial and service robotics, advanced techniques for perception, decision and execution of robotic actions in complex and unstructured environments, optimisation and deployment of AI based software solution on existing robotic platforms;
- Signal acquisition, processing and interpretation of speech, images and videos, artificial vision and applications;
- Cognitive neuroscience, cognitive and brain architectures, and their applications to artificial intelligence models;
- Legal and ethical principles, laws and its applications to the design and application of artificial intelligence systems;
- Business and economic processes, for the organization, management and innovation of products and services based on artificial intelligence systems.
The courses provide students with substantial laboratory activities and hands-on experiences, projects, seminars by researchers and industry leaders and internship opportunities. The program incentivize students to improve their communication skills, autonomous learning considered essential in a professional profile that needs cope with continuous research and innovation in artificial intelligence.
The graduate student in Artificial Intelligence Systems has in-depth knowledge of modern methods of analysis, design and management of artificial intelligence systems. The provided knowledge is directly usable in very diverse application fields ranging from Industry 4.0, complex corporate processes automation, autonomous driving, finance, health and environment. Furthermore allowing the graduate to face and understand innovation-related issues with a general and critical view.
Professional profile and job opportunities
Graduates in Artificial Intelligence Systems hold high-profile scientific, technical and / or managerial roles in contexts that require in-depth knowledge of the Computer Engineering disciplines with particular reference to systems based on artificial intelligence. Graduates can work in research, design, development, engineering, production, innovation, operation and maintenance, management of artificial intelligence solutions and technologies, and their applications in sectors ranging from the automation of complex corporate processes, mobility, management of services to citizens, finance, health and the environment.
The technologies related to artificial intelligence make it possible to radically revolutionize many productive sectors, entering pervasively into the daily life of people and industrial processes. For example, advanced artificial intelligence technologies are at the basis of voice assistants in smartphones or social and service robots, autonomous driving vehicles, modern industrial robots and the most advanced medical diagnostic systems. Artificial intelligence makes it possible to partially and completely innovate and automate the productive and managerial processes of companies thanks to its ability to process, analyze, decide, and establish actions to be performed. The modus operandi of artificial intelligence systems can be focused on the support of human operators (e.g., decision support systems in the diagnostic field) or autonomous (e.g., personal digital assistants or logistics management robots), with a significant impact on the competitiveness of companies.
The Italian industry in particular, consisting predominantly of small and medium-sized enterprises, and European industry in general, are well aware of these opportunities and consistently invest in the ongoing revolution, in order to allow the productive systems to adapt to the dynamics imposed by global markets. In this context, numerous companies are enjoying great success through the development or use technologies based on artificial intelligence in applications ranging from the automation of complex corporate processes, mobility, management of services to citizens, finance, health and the environment. Labor market with these characteristics often does not require professional figures with high specialization in a single sector, but rather favors the availability of skills capable of grasping relations between the various disciplines and of professionally dealing with interdisciplinary problems.
Thanks also to a formative offer that favors a significant laboratory activity in various applications and industrial domains, the employment opportunities typical for graduates in Artificial Intelligence Systems are relevant both to the business operating sectors and to the research and development centers, in particular:
- companies related to design, development, engineering, production and operation of intelligent solutions and systems and their applications
- manufacturing companies, agro-food companies, companies operating in the private sector, sectors of public administrations and service companies in which computer systems based on artificial intelligence are used
- companies interested in the acquisition, processing, processing and transmission of information (data, voice, images and video)
- manufacturing and logistic companies using robotics and automation, industrial companies developing state-of-the art robotic solutions, companies producing bio-medical devices that aim to extend their range of products toward assistive robots, solution providing for self-driving autonomous cars
- companies operating in the field of design and development of embedded systems and digital platforms for autonomous and intelligent systems
- companies in different sectors, which need skills for the development and use of systems based on artificial intelligence to support internal organization, production and marketing
- companies in the services and advanced tertiary sectors, operating in particular in the areas of design, supply, maintenance of services provided via telematic networks, the internet and the web
- manufacturers and / or users of computer components and systems
- companies that provide facilities and services for IT systems and networks
- software engineering companies
- public and private research and development centers.
The Master's Degree can either give direct access to the labor market or give access to third-cycle studies (PhD degree) and second-level university masters.
The master's degree in Artificial Intelligence Systems provides the knowledge, skills and training necessary to apply to the following doctoral schools: